Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ghosts in the Park.

I stirred into motion and caught sight of a zeppelin plane flying away over the horizon. I ran down the grassy slopes, waving my red banner at it in a manner of cheer filled farewell. When I reached the bottom of the gentle slope I stopped to catch my breath and it was there that I realized there was a place reserved for me on that plane.

Crestfallen and dejected, I surveyed my surroundings. I was on a flat landscape with small hillocks covered with green grass and dotted with yellow flowers that stretched out for miles around me. I could see the horizon on all sides. I spun around on my heels and realized there were no sides, it was only round and round. I had just missed my plane and now found myself dealing with a dissonant buzzing in my ear. I could't quite place what it was. I walked around for a while, chased a few butterflies, threw a few rocks around and realized the futility of my attempts; things could go on this way and this buzzing sound was  just not going anywhere.

I could not decide on what to do, because I realized I never decided on what to do. There seemed to be so many decisions being made constantly and I seemed to remember following these decisions to an end, but here there was just this strange buzzing in my ear and no other clues.

Directly ahead of me there was a small hillock that seemed to cover my view of what lay beyond. And now over the buzzing sound there was a strange rumbling sound. I shook my head in amazement over the fact that there were no physical disturbances here, these were the sounds of silence. The wind felt sharp in my nose and smelt pure, every breath was rejuvenating. My heart was beating to the regular tempo of a rock song when suddenly I became aware of the sensations, or the strange music coming from inside my body.
Listening to my heart I pulled out a song wrapped in a thread somewhere in my head. I followed the rumbling sound beyond the hill with my feet moving in perfect synchronization to the words, "the lunatic is on the grass..."
It seemed to be coming from everywhere yet nowhere at all. I could not recognize anything because just like my sense of decision making, my sense of familiarity merged into the unknown ambiance of this strange place I was in.
"remembering day, daisy chains and laughs, got to keep the loonies on the grass..." was all I could feel when I crested the hill and saw dark clouds gathering far into the horizon. From here I could see for miles around and the place furthest on my vision looked strangely luminous and foreboding. I turned around to see the last rays of the sun dance over the horizon. The sun looked like a child about to kiss the surface of the Earth and the Earth the perfect embodiment of the feminine, ready to receive it.

Somehow the buzz seemed to have subsided and in the silence of the twilight, I observed the most beautiful sunset I had ever seen in my life. And in that golden shimmering radiance I realized, I was not alone.

No comments: