Saturday, January 16, 2010

The End of The World




I look back and see the rift
Widening like a chasm between us
In it are many broken bones and promises
I see you and your eyes that sparkle like the sun
Across the shore, standing there and shining.
You look so beautiful, yet I could never love you,
You were so right and I never acknowledged you,
I look around to see the chasm on all sides and me,
Stranded alone on this island;

It’s nice, this space of mine,
Nothing wrong with it,
In it I can lay about for half a day
And think of the glory that waits in the other half.
I can dream and drift, close my eyes and escape.
The only way out of there is to fly, or to let loose
And jump in that canyon, filled with broken bones
And promises, biting like cold broken glass.
Every step will be like misery on a galactic scale.
But it will only take so many steps to reach the other side,
Where she waits with a gun in her hand and a black flag,
Flying high;

That pain would be brief, and I would welcome it
And for that I might even jump and forget about all the rest.
But there is a certain joy in being forsaken,
In being kept alive against your wish;
In knowing that day after day you betray yourself
And grow darker and darker within.
It is this joy that keeps me alive;
The joy of my life: green, oozing and perverted.

The day of reckoning draws near.
The day where not everything will be an abstraction
And indefinable, the day where I can actually
Send forth a message to the stars, of the completion of my term.
My time in servitude draws to an end, I can feel it in my bones.
The clock ticks me closer to home.

I set my eyes on the sunset,
And sit silently staring. One day
That sun will rise, and in a sparkle,
You will materialize before my eyes.
And we can choke each other, for all our worth,
Till death do us apart.




No comments: