Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Estranged














With bated breath I waited in that unholy twilight, something in the air made me feel scared. I held myself and waited for the sun to rise. Somewhere down the road a dog got up and lumbered lazily across the road. 'Do they pee as well when they get up?' I asked myself. I turned my head and noticed the gates were still closed. I waited another fifteen minutes before I picked up my bag and left in search of tea. It was not very hard to find. I spotted a group of early birds, possibly workers of some sort, collected around a cart, scratching and warming themselves, exchanging precious little knick knacks. I walked straight up to the  stall and asked for milk and Parle-G. Suddenly the pensiveness inside was replaced with a feeling of estrangement, aroused because of all the people standing there, their lives all joyfully purposeful. The feeling of  estrangement grew as I saw the first of the Black Clothes walk down the road. I hastily abandoned my approach and returned to normalcy. This was really starting to get on my nerves. If this was professionalism, I didn't want anything to do with it. I wanted a valley, a mountain, a fire and some time to meditate. "But when is that ever going to be a possibility" I wondered and crushed my white plastic cup. I slung my bag over my shoulder and walked on past the Black Clothes without a glance in their direction. 'Go on, take your best shot, I've got nothing to lose.' I communicated, and walked on through the open doors.

3 comments:

Ridhima bahl said...

A very beautiful vision of the place comes across through the detailed descriptions of things n activities around you..Even though you say its scary n unholy.i want 2 stand at the same locus as you and see all that you see...
for me its powerful coz i can see you doing all that you have written n can easily see n feel all the expressions in your eyes,on face,in your body..

Dark vision comes with the coming of black clothes bringing with itself a feeling of estrangement.

All in all a nice piece as the line btw manifest n latent are blur...

Ridhima bahl said...

tosham!!!! the pictures are really..

maddy said...

awesome clicks..........!
n nicely written also........!